Many of us enjoy the extensive collection of books, games, videos and music CDs available for our use in the clubhouse library. Recently our two dedicated volunteer librarians Joyce Hansen & Joan Banks discovered some water damage to one of the bookshelves and some of the books.

Water had soaked the carpet in the corner of the library and wicked up the book shelf on to the books. Mold had developed on several of the books as well as the bookcase itself. Regrettably the moldy books had to be discarded. The bookshelf has been removed and the clubhouse is attempting to remove the mold and repair the water damaged wood.

There is still considerable mold evident on the drywall and skirting boards in various locations throughout the basement. This will need to be addressed once the source of the leak is located. With the new roof gradually being installed on the clubhouse there should be improvements in the mold and damp conditions in the basement.

Most people think green when they think of mold, but black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is actually a very common problem in damp or water-damaged areas and it can be dangerous. As far as I am aware the mold in the library has not been identified.

The library remains open for use by members but some books are now being stored on tables. Joyce and Joan ask that you hold on to any books, videos, games or CDs that you may wish to donate until the shelving issue is resolved.

2 Comments, RSS

  • Anne Jukes-hughes

    I have commented at several of our open meetings of The appalling lack of care over the years of the club basement and its water leaks, which still have never been repaired, making it a health hazard to all who use it,especially over the winter months and received much clapping from the audience.I also said at these meetings if it was not repaired, I would report these findings to the Kingston Health Dept. They would no doubt close the club with Their findings until they were repaired.
    This would mean no winter events and access to our damaged library,until all was repaired.The powers that be could not care less,in my opinion, as the golf season is about over. That is where their money is. Only the members would suffer. The owners,will have their money, which usually goes elsewhere?
    So, unless there is a huge up roar from all the members in the next few days. I will contact the Health Authorites to make a visit.
    Looking on the bright side, all might be fixed quickly,so we don’t miss out on our activities as club members. We could also ask for a rebate of our membership dues,if the closing of the club takes unnecessarily long?
    I think it is important that we stick together, in what I am about to do, as we are at the moment definitely being taken advantage of. The final straw is our library.
    Silence from everybody means I go a head in 5days from now on the 26th of September.
    I will keep you all informed. We really must sort out the years of decay of the clubs basement.

  • Keith Fraser

    Enough is enough!! This problem has been continuing for far too long and it is time for Management to be proactive rather than reactive. I have been concerned for some time now and have emailed Kaitlin previously about this problem. Active seniors exercising in this environment and then young summer camp participants eating their lunches there-really?? These are the age groups most at risk with health issues relating to mold. Time to correct the problem the right way, not the Kaitlin way. Otherwise, the Public Health office needs to be involved and they would likely insist that the issue be dealt with quickly.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *