Free Large Item Disposal Opportunities (FLIDO)
Loyalist Township has a program to allow Township residents to dispose of large items at our landfills at no charge. Free Large Item Disposal Opportunities, or FLIDO, may be used any time the landfills are open for business.
One FLIDO is considered to be the equivalent of one pickup truck load, having a cargo capacity of 2.44 metres (8 feet) by 1.22 metres (4 feet) by 0.6 metres (2 feet) = 1.78 cubic metres (64 cubic feet).
All residents of Loyalist Township, both on the mainland and on Amherst Island, are entitled to two FLIDO visits per calendar year.
How to Use a FLIDO:
- Make sure that you have documentation with you that proves you are a resident of Loyalist Township (Photo ID, tax bill).
- Bring your large items to the landfill during the hours of operation.
- Check in with the landfill attendant and let them know that you are using a FLIDO.
- The landfill attendant will ask you for proof of residency.
- The landfill attendant will check the items to ensure that they are acceptable for disposal.
- Upon approval of the items the attendant will deduct one FLIDO from your account.
- If someone is delivering “Large Items” on your behalf, a request must be registered in advance to obtain a required “approval number”. This may be done either in person at the Loyalist Township Office, or by telephone at ext. 116.
If you have used all your opportunities for the year, regular disposal fees will apply. The current tipping fee is $125/tonne, with a $15 minimum charge per visit.
What Qualifies as a Large Item
Large Items are things that are not hazardous, reusable, or recyclable. Examples of
acceptable items are provided below.
Couches, chairs, tables, mattresses
Refrigerators, freezers, dish washers, ovens, washing machines, dryers, air conditioners
Electronic waste (such as cell phones, computers, printers, T.V.’s, stereo receivers)
Scrap steel (bicycle frames, steel doors, aluminum window frames, aluminum wall siding, brass fittings, copper pipe)
Carpet and vinyl flooring
Bathroom toilets and sinks
Note: Household garbage does not qualify for FLIDO. Household garbage that has not been bagged and tagged will be subject to tipping fees as mentioned above. No payment is required if bag tags have been placed on each garbage bag.
Materials NOT accepted at Landfill Sites
Loyalist Township landfills are not licensed to accept the following items:
- All recyclable items as defined by the Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC)
- Drywall and other gypsum products
- Vinyl siding and vinyl products
- Bricks, concrete blocks and other concrete masonry products
- Manufactured wood products (chip board, etc.)
- Building and construction waste
- Logs, stumps and brush
- Hazardous waste as defined by KARC
- Medical and dental waste
- Lawn and garden waste
Violet Waste Disposal Site
1346 Violet Rd., Odessa
Open – Tues. to Thurs. 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Payment at Violet Landfill is cash or debit only
Open 4 Saturdays in 2019: June 22, August 24, September 28, October 26
Saturday business hours are 8:30 am to 3:00 pm